• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramblercoach94

ramblercoach94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

LaFayette also were region champions in 1993. Entered the playoffs as a one seed and was upset by Villa Rica in the first round.

#2 THOLCOMB

THOLCOMB

Football Research Master

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

It's fixed. Thank you.

I made it a 3-way share among LaFayette, Pepperell & Cartersville.

#3 THOLCOMB

THOLCOMB

Football Research Master

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

Upon further review, I realize why we didn't have LaFayette as the region champion in 1993.

Everyone feel free to give their opinions on this --

LaFayette was seeded #1 for the REGION playoffs, but LaFayette didn't make the STATE playoffs. Instead, Pepperell was seeded #1 for the STATE playoffs.

Shouldn't the team that was seeded #1 for the state playoffs be the region champion? Shouldn't making the state playoffs be a prequisite for being a region champion?

I'm open to debate, but our guideline has been to award the region title to the team that is seeded #1 in the state playoffs. Otherwise, we'd have to go back and give region titles to all teams prior to 1990 that went 10-0 but lost in the first round of the REGION playoffs.

#4 Ira

Ira

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

I agree, Todd. There are many examples of regular season #1's that didn't make the state playoffs. Just like in basketball, a regular season region champ and a region tourny champ are not always the same. In my book, the team that advances is the one that should be recognized.