• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BHSRebel60

BHSRebel60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

This site has an East Point High School in East Point, GA. There has never been any such school. The site shows they played one game in 1950, and no other games.

Thanks.

#2 THOLCOMB

THOLCOMB

Football Research Master

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

The East Point we have listed would've been an all-black school from the GIA. I'm not the GIA expert. All I can safely say is that a school called "East Point" was reported as a football opponent for GIA schools in Decatur and Marietta in the 1950s in newspapers. Whether this "East Point'' mystery school was actually in East Point, Ga., I don't know. The "East Point'' school probably had an official name that was not''East Point.'' Most GIA schools (and many GHSA schools) were reported by their cities in newspapers. For example, Lemon Street High might be called ''Marietta''.

#3 BHSRebel60

BHSRebel60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

There was a South Fulton High School in East Point for all the black students. Maybe it got reported in a newspaper as East Point High. A high school would not have only one football game in it's history.

#4 btaylor

btaylor

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Sorry, I haven't been on the site in a few days.

The image at the bottom is from the 1951-52 Georgia Department of Education directory of schools, which used official names. East Point High changed its name to South Fulton in 1954. The (7) by its name indicated it had oversize classes. But it was accredited. It wouldn't have been on the list if it wasn't (the GA DOE didn't attempt to figure out what black schools existed until 1956).

No, it wouldn't have had one game in its history, but that's the conundrum of the GIA. The only source for scores for the immediate Atlanta area is the Atlanta Daily World. Depending on year, it can be very good or non-existent. Unlike the GHSA, there isn't a central repository of scores. There wasn't an AP score column that ran on Saturdays and Sundays (or Mondays, depending on the paper). You take what you can get and hope they played a school whose local paper covered the game. As you can see, that hasn't happened and I've researched the Atlanta Daily World for 1948-65, plus a few years before that.

I'm in the process of getting GIA scores by digging through local papers. Today's haul, in particular, saw:
- Most scores, but haphazard and sometimes confusing information for Lemon Street out of the 1963 and 1964 Cobb County Times (why didn't I just get the Marietta Daily Journal reels?)
- Nothing for Washington Street (Dublin) in 1948.
- Three listings, one score for Washington Street (Dublin) in 1949.
- Six games, five results (four scores) from the Cairo Messenger for 1968 for Washington High
- No scores, no listings from the Cairo Messenger for November 1958-1959.

Only a handful of papers were consistently good in reporting. That does not include non-Atlanta city schools in the Daily World. Hopefully more East Point information will pop up.

Attached Files

• Attached File  EPHS.jpg   80.28KB   4 downloads

#5 RARich

RARich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Always a Football Fan, Redan HS alumni '97.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Im looking at this Image too I see Frank S. Mcclairin there is a school named after him, actually the old College park Campus bears his Name.... maybe a clue.

#6 btaylor

btaylor

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

At some point in the far off future, I hope to have the available school directories typed up, which might provide a decent history of what existed and when. Unfortunately, there is scant knowledge on black schools prior to 1956.

#7 BHSRebel60

BHSRebel60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

Sage, thanks for all the info. I am a member of the board of directors of the East Point Historical Society and I never knew about the name change from East Point HS to South Fulton HS. There was a East Point High School from the late 1890s until May 1923. There is no record of it ever having a football team. It closed when the city opened Russell High.

In the introduction part of the 1958 South Fulton HS year book, it says that the school opened in 1950, and it also says there were no year books for 1950 thru 1957. In 1970 it became a "eight grade only" Junior High. The 1958 annual is the only yearbook that we have been able to find for SFHS for the time it was a high school.

The 1958 yearbook showed the scores for the year that they won state (1955, I think), but did not show any other scores.

#8 BHSRebel60

BHSRebel60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

I noticed in your attachment that the principal of East Point High School was listed as Frank S. McClarin.

In the Masters theses "A Little Bit of Heaven: The Inception, Climax and Transformation of the East Washington Community in East Point, Georgia" by Lisa Shannon-Flagg, she said, "...Principal Frank S. McClarin. “Professor” McClarin, as he was called by students, faculty and community residents, began his legacy as principal of East Point Colored School in 1932. He undertook the school’s transformation to a high school from 1947 until 1952, when East Point Colored School added a grade a year, along with the construction of a new annex. In 1948, McClarin personally helped to re-build the school after it was destroyed by yet another fire. And in 1952, when the high school was finally completed and separated from East Point Elementary, McClarin took the position as principal of East Point’s new South Fulton High School."