OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

http://www.gwinnettd...new-head-coach/

Mountain View football hires new head coach

Mountain View stayed within the high school for its new head football coach, announcing Doug Giacone as the Bears' second-ever coach on Monday.
#Giacone has coached at the school since it opened in 2009 and has been both the defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach. He replaces Tim Hardy, who was hired last month as the head coach at Greater Atlanta Christian.
#"I just really feel blessed that the administration allowed me to take over the journey Tim and I started three years ago," Giacone said. "That's a testament to their belief in the direction of the program, the continuity and everything the community, the Touchdown Club and the kids have been doing."
#Though Giacone is a first-time head coach, he has extensive experience in coaching that includes six seasons at the college level from 1999 to 2004. He coached linebackers for two seasons at Millikin University (Ill.), where he played college football, and then was Georgia Southern's defensive backs coach from 2001-04. He worked for Paul Johnson and Mike Sewak in Statesboro.
#He followed that up with three seasons at Grayson from 2005-07 and spent one season as Riverside Military Academy's defensive coordinator before joining Hardy at Mountain View.
#Giacone plans to remain defensive coordinator for now, but he still must find a replacement for Hardy, who also served as the Bears' offensive coordinator.
#"That's my first priority, to hire an offensive coordinator," Giacone said. "We have a few candidates on staff that I think are good candidates and I've got to talk with them. But I'm willing to look outside the program, too. I'm looking for someone I jell with philosophically and who has the same beliefs on how we're teaching young men."
#Mountain View experienced immediate success in 2009, when it played a combo schedule of varsity and junior varsity games, but spent the past two seasons getting adjusted to tough Region 7-AAAAA. The Bears went 2-8 in their first attempt at a region schedule in 2010 and followed it up with a 3-7 record last year.
#One of the highlights last season was the program's first-ever win over rival Mill Creek, a 9-7 victory on Sept. 16. The Mountain View administration liked the Bears' progression enough to turn the program over to Giacone.
#"Doug's been here from the start, from the inception," Mountain View athletic director Wayne Smith said. "He's done a great job for us and he'll continue to do a great job leading the program."
#The Bears' current assistants were pleased to get the news Monday that their staff would remain intact with an in-house hire. The players will get the news about Giacone's hire Monday afternoon.
#Despite Hardy's absence, the new coach said he's been pleased with what's happened in recent weeks.
#"It's been status quo the past two weeks since Coach Hardy went to GAC," Giacone said. "That's really shown the strength of what we've built here. We've had great attendance at afternoon workouts. We've had great attendance from our eighth-graders who come up twice a week. Again, that's a testament to what Coach Hardy and the rest of us have built."

#102 RIP

RIP

Advanced Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My wife, football, martial arts, playing guitar, horror movies, BEER, UGA football games, etc.....

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Lamar County Trojans hire Tucker head coach Franklin Stephens who was 64-6 while at Tucker and won 2 State Titles in the past 5 years. What a great thing for Lamar County who were 12-1 last year and region 4AA champs. Former coach Jason Strickland quit a couple weeks ago to be head coach at Fitzgerald but I think Lamar will have a better year in 2012 with Stephens as head coach and Lamar has alot of players returning so Lamar might repeat as Region Champs again and go further in state to teh dome game or the state AA title game!!!

#103 btaylor

btaylor

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Valwood head coach Brannon Tidwell resigns;

Berrien hires Rob Armstrong

#104 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

http://daltondailyci...tball-coach-out

North Murray head football coach out

North Murray football coach Larry Cornelius has been relieved of his coaching duties.

A source within the school said athletic director Roger Rainey informed the athletic staff of the decision Monday morning, and Cornelius confirmed his removal when contacted.

Rainey was contacted by phone, but he said he would have to return the call later in the day.

Cornelius has been the only football coach for the school since it opened in the fall of 2008. In two years of full varsity competition, North Murray was 1-19 competing in Region 7-2A. The first two years of the program, the Mountaineers played a combined junior varsity/varsity schedule with a program career record of 3-21 against varsity teams.

Return to www.daltonnow.com for updates later in the day.

#105 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

McEachern-assistant-Pastrick-named-Chapel-Hill-football-coach

McEachern assistant Pastrick named Chapel Hill football coach
By Chase Wallace
cwallace@neighbornewspapers.com

For the fourth time in 13 years Chapel Hill has a new football coach, naming McEachern assistant head coach Geoff Pastrick as the Panther’s head man earlier this week.
“I'm excited to have this opportunity and feel very fortunate to coach at a place like Chapel Hill,” said Pastrick, 35, who is embarking of his first head coaching gig. “A lot of guys get their first head job and it may not be the best situation, but this is a really good job to take over after coach [Chris] Parker instilled some winning ways.”
Parker left Chapel Hill to take the head position at Pickens County in late January. His stint in Douglasville lasted just four years but brought Chapel Hill their first taste of gridiron success — going 26-17, posting three winning seasons, and making the state playoffs twice.
Pastrick comes to Chapel Hill from a place with a rich winning tradition of their own, spending the last four sea-sons as an assistant to Kyle Hockman at McEachern. Pastrick served as an offensive line coach all four years and assistant head coach in 2011. In his four years he helped the Indians amass a 35-10 record, two region titles, and three 10 win seasons.
Hockman spoke high praise of his former assistant, calling him a key reason for McEachern’s success and possi-bly the best offensive line coach in the state.
“Geoff is a high energy guy that our kids really responded to and loved playing for. He has relentless effort, a great knowledge of the game, and I know he’ll take the Chapel Hill job and run with it.”
Pastrick said that “high energy” was the perfect way to describe him and he plans to implement that trait into all aspects of Panther football.
“We’re going to hit the practice fields hard and fast and everybody is going to be running from drill to drill, coaches included. Football is a fun game and I get excited out there coaching, we’re going to be intense and physical and whoever we play will wake up on Saturday knowing they just got hit.”
Along with his up tempo approach, the Panther’s new coach said he will bring a variety of other things from McEachern — including a pistol offense and a 3-3 Stack defense — and combine them with the parts in place at Chapel Hill to take the Panthers to the next level.
“We want to continue being the best in our county; I think that is important to the kids and this community. From there we want to be that program that other teams in the state look at and say ‘that’s how we want to do things’.”
Pastrick will begin teaching at Chapel Hill on Monday as a weightlifting instructor.
He will assemble a coaching staff in the coming weeks in anticipation of spring practice in May.
“I can’t wait. This spring will be all about finding out who really loves to play football, which guys can turn it on when they get on the field and give in all they’ve got.”

#106 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

http://www.albanyher...-leaving-progr/

Mitchell head football coach Pinkins leaving program for Valdosta

CAMILLA — Dondrial Pinkins, the Mitchell County alum who played quarterback at South Carolina and then came back home to coach his Eagles, is leaving the program and the school.
#Pinkins is headed for Class AAAAA Valdosta High School, where he will coach receivers and also be the assistant basketball coach.
#“I sat down with my family and we talked about it, and I really feel this is the best move for me and my family right now,’’ Pinkins told The Herald on Thursday. “They call Valdosta Title Town. (Valdosta) had some coaches leave, and they had some jobs open, and I talked with the head coach there. They were interested in me, and I was interested in the job, so I decided it was time to move on. It’s a better opportunity for me and my family, and a decision I couldn’t turn down.’’
#The Eagles always flew under Pinkins, who brought a wide-open spread offense to the program and watched his teams have great success over the past two seasons.
#He spent four years coaching at his alma mater, and after winning seven games in his first two seasons as one of the smallest Class AA teams in the state, Pinkins’ teams took care of business and became a power in Class A when they dropped down a classification two years ago and began playing schools closer to their own size.
#The Eagles won the Region 1-A title in 2010, going 9-2 before losing to state runner-up Savannah Christian in the state playoffs. They were the Region 1-A runner-up last fall behind state-power Seminole County, finished 7-4 and made the playoffs for the second consecutive season.
#“The thing I will remember the most is the kids I helped teach and learn more about football,’’ said Pinkins, who led Mitchell to the region title when he was a senior in 2000. “And I’ll remember how good it felt to turn the program around after it had dropped off. We won the region in 2000, and then they went 0-10 the next year.’’
#Mitchell County won only eight games from 2005 through 2007 before Pinkins took over, and he made the program not only competitive again but a region power.
#It was emotional for Pinkins to leave his kids.
#“I’m going to miss it,’’ he said. “I talked to my kids, and that was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do since I became a coach. It started to bring tears to my eyes, so I hurried up my speech and ended it and got out of there. I will miss it.’’

#107 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

http://tiftongazette...-football-coach
  • Ryan BranchPosted Image
March 17, 2012
Tiftarea hires Ryan Branch as head football coach

Bren Shepard/The Tifton Gazette CNHI The Tifton Gazette Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:00 PM EDT

TIFTON — The Tiftarea Academy Panthers have a new head football coach in Ryan Branch, a Tift County High graduate.

“Coach Branch was the best candidate,” said Tiftarea athletic director Chip Champion. “He’s a good fit for our program and a good fit for our school.”

Branch has 10 years experience as a head coach, but this will be his first coaching in the GISA.

His first job was at Brooks County, where he took them from a 4-7 season the year before he arrived, to 9-3 in his fifth year there.

He left Brooks after his seventh year to coach the Berrien High Rebels, where he led them to a 5-5 record in his second season, the best season for Berrien in 15 years.

He spent this past season as an assistant coach for the Valdosta High Wildcats, who won the Region 1-AAAAA football title.

“I’m very excited to be a head coach again,” said Branch. “Even more importantly, I’m excited to be coaching right down the road from where I grew up and played ball.”

Branch believes he can have success at Tiftarea, just as he did at Brooks.

“I had a lot of good kids that played hard at Brooks,” said Branch. “If I can get the kids motivated and excited to play they can do anything. I was lucky enough to have coaches that did it for me, and now I try to do the same for my kids.”

Branch has had experience running several different offenses and defenses, and feels that you have to find what’s right for each team.

“I’ve run the 4-3 on defense before, and other times a 3-4. I’ll see what I think will work best here in the GISA,” said Branch. “At Berrien we spread it out and passed a lot, and had one of the better seasons that they have had recently. At Brooks we did more of an option attack. We’ll get in here and see what we are working with and what will be best for these players.

“Get ready,” Branch added. “We are about to come in here and get everyone excited and fired up."

#108 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

http://daltondailyci...-football-coach

March 16, 2012
Southeast boots head football coach

Chris Whitfield chriswhitfield@daltoncitizen.com The Dalton Daily Citizen Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:36 AM EDT

DALTON — Southeast Whitfield’s coaching couple, David and Elizabeth Crane, have been relieved of their athletic duties by new principal Karey Williams.

Raiders football coach David Crane and his wife Elizabeth, the school’s girls basketball coach, were given the option to resign by Williams this week, but both declined to do so. Williams is expected to submit their names for termination at the next Whitfield County Schools board meeting on March 26.

“I had the option to resign, but (Williams) will have to take my name before the board to be terminated,” David Crane said when reached by phone Thursday afternoon. “I am not going to resign. My main reason for not resigning is that I am not going to hide. I am not going to quit on those boys.”

David Crane said he met with Williams and Whitfield County School Superintendent Danny Hayes on Monday morning and was asked to give his resignation. Elizabeth Crane, who was not at school on Monday or Tuesday while she tended to her mother after surgery in South Carolina, had a similar meeting with Williams when she returned to school on Wednesday.

Southeast athletic director Scott Ramsey was not involved in either meeting, the Cranes said. Phone messages left for Hayes, Ramsey and Williams on Thursday evening were not returned.

Williams took over as the school’s principal on Jan. 6, filling the vacancy after Brian Satterfield retired earlier this school year. She was previously an assistant principal at Northwest Whitfield.

Southeast Quarterback Club president Gary Keeble said the decision caught him off guard as well.

“I was surprised with the timing, and I am disappointed that he isn’t going to be our coach,” Keeble said. “I am a big supporter of these boys out here, and I will work hard with whoever is the next coach as well. David is a good man, and I only hope the best for him and Elizabeth.”

Both David, who holds teaching certificates in special education and physical education, and Elizabeth, a general science degree holder who teaches Advanced Placement biology, will have teaching positions in Whitfield County Schools next year, but they will be assigned to schools other than Southeast.

According to open.georgia.gov, the state’s public information website, David Crane’s salary for this year is $70,857, while Elizabeth Crane’s is $51,709.

Like the firing of North Murray football coach Larry Cornelius less than two weeks ago, the timing of the removal of David Crane is surprising. Spring football practice is scheduled to begin in less than two months, and most football coaching changes occur closer to the end of the fall season.

“The timing is not good,” said David Crane, who has been the Raiders’ football coach for the past four seasons. “The only reason (Williams) gave me was she wanted to go in a different direction. She wasn’t any more specific than that. Mr. Hayes mentioned he had been approached a couple of weeks ago. One of the things as far as the timing is that we have had multiple issues and multiple meetings in previous weeks.

“The only thing she alluded to was she said that she didn’t feel like enough had been going on from the end of last year to now. We have been doing all of the offseason things (workouts and conditioning) that we can do outside of actually practicing.”

David Crane said he had recently made changes to the coaching staff, changes he said he had made with Williams’ input after several earlier meetings.

“We had a big meeting with the boys two weeks ago, and I cannot go from doing that to say I am quitting or resigning or giving up on those boys,” David Crane said. “Nobody wanted to win more football games than I did. On the field, we have won 10 games over the last four years. The participation has gone up and the program is headed in the right direction.”

In four years at Southeast, David Crane’s record is 8-32 with two wins taken away from the team this past year because of the use of an ineligible player. The 2009 Raiders were 5-5, completing the school’s first non-losing football season since 1992. According to the Georgia High School Football Historians Association website, the school has an overall football record of 111-259-1 for a winning percentage of just 30 percent.

In the 10 previous seasons before David Crane’s arrival, Southeast football teams were 15-85. The next coach will be the 13th to lead the program since its first season in 1975.

“When I got here, the booster club was $20,000 in debt and we have worked to turned that around,” he said. “Corporate sponsorships are up to around 30 now from about half of that when I got here. I think a lot of progress has been made. We had less than 40 players on my first team and we had 88 last year. That first year, we had 11 guys in summer school trying to get eligible, and this past summer it was only two. I think we have made a lot of progress, and I think the product on the field is as competitive as they have been in a real long time.”

David Crane had not met with his team and told them of the firing when he was reached in South Carolina by The Daily Citizen. He and his family are there to celebrate the induction of Elizabeth Crane’s mother into the South Carolina prep coaches hall of fame after she coached one school for 36 years.

“I appreciate the efforts of those boys for the last four years,” he said. “These kids have meant so much. We haven’t always had the best athletes, but I can assure you those boys have worked harder than any group of athletes I have ever had the pleasure to be associated with.”

On the basketball court, Elizabeth Crane took the Lady Raiders to the state tournament in her first season and compiled a record of 32-39 in three seasons. That number includes this past season, when the Lady Raiders returned just one starter and struggled to a 1-25 record.

“We have had some success, and I have been truly blessed to be around some tremendous athletes and some very high-character girls,” said Elizabeth Crane, who also served as the school’s softball coach for the 2009 season. “They work hard and know the game. They will have a lot of success, but it will take some time to rebuild after you graduate so many four-year starters.”

Not interacting with their athletes on a personal basis will be what both coaches will miss the most, she said.

“The hardest part for me is those girls have formed a great relationship with my kids,” Elizabeth Crane said, “and I am very appreciative to them for loving my children the way they and the football players have.”

#109 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com...h_school_sports

Prep Zone: High School Sports

Westlake hires Pritchett as football coach

12:27 pm March 21, 2012, by Todd Holcomb

Westlake introduced North Atlanta’s Stanley Pritchett as its new head football coach Tuesday evening.
Pritchett, a former Falcons player, was 2-7 in one season at North Atlanta and was 19-12 in three at Washington.
“Stanley Pritchett is a role model that can stand in front of our kids,’’ Westlake principal Grant Rivera said. “We spoke with a long-time coach who attends a church in north metro Atlanta and asked him about Coach Pritchett. He said that he hears something good about Coach Pritchett almost every Sunday, how he is impacting the lives of kids in that community and how he is a role model to them. That speaks volumes about his character and leadership.
Pritchett replaces Greg Minnis, who resigned after a 4-6 finish. Minnis was 20-21 in four seasons. Westlake last won a playoff game in 2005.
S. Thomas Coleman contributed to this article

#110 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

http://mdjonline.com...nstance=special

Harrison hires NFL assistant as coach

by Adam Carrington
acarrington@mdjonline.com

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Harrison hires NFL assistant as coach

Harrison has a new football coach with college and NFL football credentials, as well as Cobb County roots.

The Hoyas announced on their football website of the hiring of 37-year coaching veteran Marty Galbraith, who most recently has been an assistant special teams coach for the Tennessee Titans.

Harrison went on a national search for a replacement that lasted more than three months after four-year coach David Hines stepped down in late November, and it found a coach that has experience leading all three phases of the game — offense, defense and special teams.

This will be Galbraith’s second stint as head coach after he coached at Lassiter for three seasons from 1995-1997, with a 19-11 record.

“We’re happy to have Marty as our new coach,” Harrison athletic director Jerry Meuschke said. “It’s been a long episode in trying to find one, but the kids and parents are really excited about trying to start a new chapter.”

Based on Galbraith’s coaching resume, he’s got an offensive mind. The bulk of his assistant coaching jobs during his long career was on the offensive side of the ball.

The 62-year-old Galbraith served as offensive coordinator for Wake Forest, Marshall, North Carolina State and Duke and has experience coaching the offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends. Galbraith has made recruiting trips to Cobb County, which has helped him remain familiar with Harrison’s program.

“I know when I recruited in Cobb County, Harrison was a good place to go,” Galbraith said. “It’s definitely a great school and a great community.

His most successful college stint was Marshall in 1998 and 1999, where he was offensive coordinator. The Thundering Herd went 25-1 during the two seasons and Galbraith developed future NFL quarterback Chad Pennington. Marshall also won two Mid-American Conference titles under his guidance.

Even though Harrison has made the Class AAAAA state playoffs two of its last four years, the Hoyas have struggled record wise since 2008. Lack of depth has also played a role as the Hoyas lost players to new schools Hillgrove and Allatoona.

The Hoyas finished with a 3-7 record in 2011. Six of those seven losses were by nine points or fewer.

Harrison’s new hire may have a few solutions in 2012. His preferred offensive style will likely not be determined until spring practice in May but said he is all about stretching the defense.

“One thing on offense is that you are exposed and see what defenses are doing to you,” Galbraith said. “Offensive guys are finding ways to beat defenses and vice versa. I like to have the offense that scores one more point than the other every game. The offense is one that stresses the defense and makes you defend the whole field.”

The Hoyas will be losing a few position players on offense including quarterback Clay Chastain, but running back C.J. Posey is expected to return for his senior season and Harrison should also be deep on both the offensive and defensive lines.

Galbraith began his coaching career in 1973 as a graduate assistant for Northwest Missouri State.

He’s spent his first 11 seasons coaching at Purdue, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, the USFL’s Tampa Bay Bandits and Arizona Outlaws and the Kansas City Chiefs before giving prep football a shot in 1994 when he was named defensive backs coach at Pope. His stay at Pope only lasted a season before Lassiter hired him as head coach.

At his latest outing in Nashville, Galbraith coached former Georgia Southern kicker Rob Bironas and transformed him into a record-setting Pro Bowler. At Harrison, Galbraith will work with Auburn-bound punter Jimmy Hutchinson, who was touted as one of the nation’s best last season.

#111 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Football Scoop reports that Kyle Adkins has accepted the HC position at Shaw.

http://www.footballs...gh-school-scoop

#112 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

http://forsythmonroe...hletic-director

Mary Persons High School Names Head Football Coach and Athletic Director

Posted Image

Submitted by Jacqueline Harnevious, 13WMAZ Community Web Producer
Tuesday, March 27th, 2012, 3:00pm

Brian Nelson, an assistant coach at Mary Persons High School since 2006, has been promoted to head coach of the Bulldogs. Coach Nelson will also serve as the Athletic Director for MPHS. The move was approved by the Monroe County BOE in a called meeting on March 26, 2012. Coach Nelson has been the Defensive Coordinator of MPHS for the past six years. He has been the head track coach and an assistant coach in boys and girls basketball during that same time. Before coming to Mary Persons, he coached three years at Crisp County High School, where he coached wide receivers (2003), running backs (2004), and quarterbacks (2005).

Prior to his high school coaching experience, Coach Nelson coached on the collegiate level and even coached overseas for the Rothenburg Knights in the German Football League after a brief playing stint as a quarterback for Rothenburg. Coach Nelson spent the 2002 season as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Georgia under the tutelage of former UGA defensive coordinator, Brian Van Gorder. Before that he worked at Western Illinois from 1998-2001 serving as Tight Ends coach for two seasons and assistant defensive backs for one. Coach Nelson began his collegiate coaching career in 1997 at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire as the quarterbacks coach.

"Coach Nelson brings a wealth of experience and coaching to this position", said Jim Finch, principal at Mary Persons High School. "After an extensive search, it became increasingly apparent that Coach Nelson was the best fit as the next head coach at Mary Persons High School. He is well respected in the coaching community as a fine coach, but most importantly, he is recognized as a fine coach by our players. I look forward to a long relationship with him as our head football coach."

Coach Nelson is originally from Iowa and is the son of a high school head football coach. He was a two-sport athlete at Division III Wartburg College in Waverly, IA. Nelson was a four year letter winner in football as a quarterback and earned 1st Team all-conference honors as a junior and senior. He was also a four year letter winner as the centerfielder on Wartburg's baseball team. He was named 1st Team all-conference as a senior in baseball. Coach Nelson and his wife Leslie, who teaches special education in Monroe County, have three children: Ava, Mac, and Kate.

#113 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

http://prepcentralon...-at-Gordon-Lee?

McElhaney steps down at Gordon Lee

by Scott Herpst Prep Central Online Sports News, Events, Scores And Videos
8 hrs ago | 292 views | 0 Posted Image | 2 Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image

Citing a desire to spend more time with his family, Kevin McElhaney has stepped down as head football coach at Gordon Lee High School.

McElhaney informed his players of his decision in meeting on Tuesday.

"Sometimes it's just time," McElhaney said on Wednesday. "I've been in coaching for 24 years now, and this is something my wife and I had been talking some about in the past. I've got a daughter that's going to be a junior in high school and another that's going into seventh grade. Both of them play softball, and that overlaps with football season. I want to be able to see them play, and this is an opportunity for me to do that."

McElhaney, a 1983 graduate of Gordon Lee, began his head coaching career at LaFayette where he spent four seasons from 1994-1997. He took over at Dade County in 2000 and spent two seasons in Trenton before returning to his alma mater as an assistant in 2002. That season, the Trojans went 11-2 and advanced to the Class A quarterfinals.

He took over in 2006 after then-head coach Greg Ellis stepped down and went 8-3 in the first of his six seasons at the helm. He went 28-36 at Gordon Lee, advanced to the state playoffs three times, and claimed a dramatic 16-14 win over Commerce in 2007. He also went 5-1 with two shutouts against rival Trion with his only loss to the Bulldogs being a 7-6 set back at Trion in 2009.

He also coached the Trojans' baseball team for one season.

McElhaney said the new Gordon Lee football coach will be stepping into a very good situation.

"It's a great time for me to leave," he explained. "The new coach, whoever that will be, will be getting a junior and senior-dominant program with lots of experience and a positive schedule. No better way to leave it than to leave it where someone can come in and have a chance to win a lot of games and have success. The kids in the program now have given me a lot of effort the last few years, and they deserve a chance to have success too."

"Kevin has done a remarkable job here, both as a teacher and coach," said GLHS principal Clay Crowder. "He's done everything we've asked him to do, and we appreciate all he's done. It's all about the kids for him, but I totally understand where he's coming from. Sometimes (in a coach's life) who have to make a decision between watching and spending time with your kids or someone else's kids."

McElhaney said wouldn't rule out a return to coaching one day, but for now, he was looking forward to taking on a more expanded role as a father. He added that he hoped Gordon Lee will remain a big part of his family.

"I was one of those 12-year kids that came through here, and I want my kids to be able to experience that too," he continued. "Gordon Lee is a great place for my kids to be and our family loves what it stands for and everything about it. You never know what the future holds. I'll be more than happy to keep driving the buses and doing whatever I can to stay involved. I'll still be in the stands yelling for the Trojans, but I'm really looking forward to being a daddy even more."

Crowder added that the school hopes to have a new coach in place as soon as possible, hopefully no later than the start of spring practice in May.

#114 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://www.romenews-...tance=home_news

Hunnicutt tells Model football players he won't be back next year

Model High head football coach Lynn Hunnicutt has chosen not to return to the school next year.

"I met with the kids today and I explained everything and I kind of apologized. But I think they understand. And I felt like we were moving in a good direction at Model," said Hunnicutt, who compiled a 4-16 record during his two years at Model.

Hunnicutt is a 49 percent employee, coaching PE part time and coaching football fulltime, Model Principal Glenn White said. He will stay on through the end of this school year.

White said Hunnicutt’s decision came about as a result of budget cuts and salary changes.

“He has done a great job for us and is welcome to stay,” White said.

He has been a coach for 39 years, 27 in Floyd County. He previously coached at Pepperell High School.

#115 tidefan102

tidefan102

Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

http://romenews-trib...me_most_popular

Lynn Hunnicutt is out at Model.

#116 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

http://daltondailyci...rs-go-with-Gann

New football coach: Mountaineers go with Gann

By Chris Whitfieldchriswhitfield@daltoncitizen.com

David Gann, a finalist for both the Northwest Whitfield and Murray County head football coaching positions last year, has found a home in the mountains.

Gann was approved for a teaching position by the Murray County Board of Education on Thursday night, and he will also be the new head coach for North Murray’s young football program, winning that job from an applicant pool of 77.

Gann is a familiar face to Northwest Georgia football fans, having served as an assistant coach at Northwest and Southeast Whitfield. At the time of his hiring, Gann was the athletic director, head golf coach and offensive coordinator at Ringgold High.

He takes over a program that was started three years ago by Larry Cornelius, who was fired by North Murray Principal Maria Bradley and athletic director Roger Rainey in early March. In the search for the school’s second football coach, Bradley, Rainey and assistant principal Keith Swilling narrowed down the list of applicants and interviewed seven finalists before submitting Gann’s name to the school board.

“There is a lot of tradition in that county with high school football with those great Murray County teams in the 1980s and ’90s, and I am just excited about the group of young men who are over there,” Gann said. “I have done a lot of research on the middle school and the rising high school players. There is a lot of work to do, but we are excited about the challenge and the opportunities.”

Rainey said Gann’s experience brought the right mix of knowledge to the equation, but it was something beyond football that impressed him about his new coach.

“First and foremost, he has a heart for student-athletes. He really loves the kids and cares about them,” Rainey said. “He has quite a bit of experience, not only on the high school level, but at the college level as well. He has been around some great coaches and has taken some of those philosophies and uses them well.”

Gann will teach special education at Murray County, and based on the school system's 2011-12 salary scale, he will make a base teaching salary of $61,673, excluding any athletic supplement. Gann said he was still in negotiations for his athletic supplement. Cornelius made $57,653 at Murray County this year, including an $11,000 supplement for football and $1,000 for weightlifting.

Gann has been at Ringgold since 2007; he was the assistant head coach for football in addition to serving as the offensive coordinator. Before joining Robert Akins’ staff, he spent five seasons at Southeast as the offensive line coach under Chip Kell and Jon Lovingood. For the 2001-02 school year, he served as a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee, working with the tight ends on Phillip Fulmer’s staff. His first coaching job was at Northwest on Ron Wheeler’s staff from fall 1996 to the spring 2001.

Offensively, Gann brings a multiple I philosophy to the Mountaineers, similar to the offense North Murray ran during the 2011 season.

“I learned it all from Ron Wheeler,” Gann said. “We will be a pro I football team that will run the ball, run some play-action and some option. We will try to get the ball into the hands of my playmakers. Offensively, we will be doing the same stuff that I have done throughout my career.

“Defensively, it will kind of be based on the personnel. Our overall goal is to be good tacklers and get 11 guys to the football. As far as a scheme, that will depend on what we see when we get on the field.”

North Murray was 1-19 in two seasons of region competition under Cornelius, including an 0-10 mark in 2011. The Mountaineers competed in Region 7-2A the past two years, but will move to Region 5-3A this fall as the Georgia High School Association’s new six-classification system debuts.

Gann takes over the program just three weeks before the start of spring practice. He said his first priority is to meet with his players and the coaches currently on staff. He is planning on working with the staff in place and doesn’t anticipate bringing in any coaches with him.

“We are going to try to get everybody on the same page and get our seniors leading this program,” he said. “I have to get to know them and they have to get to know me, and we have a short window before spring practice. I have to build that relationship and make us a family again.”

Rainey is looking for a bright future as well after going through the lengthy search.

“It was an exhausting process, but we are very excited for the Ganns to be part of North Murray and part of the Mountaineer family,” Rainey said.

Gann is a 1990 graduate of Ringgold and played offensive line at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in special education. He has a master’s from Tennessee. He and his wife Tonia have two sons Chris and Kevin, 18, and daughter Katey, 14.

Last spring, Gann lost out on head coaching positions at Northwest and Murray County as both cash-strapped school systems hired from within, with the Bruins choosing Josh Robinson and the Indians tapping John Hammond.

Now, Gann has his spot.

“Things happen for a reason, and I couldn’t be happier right now,” he said. “I think North Murray is an ideal fit for me. The administration is outstanding, the facilities are first rate and the kids really have a lot of potential. I have watched a lot of game film, and that is most exciting thing, is the group of guys we have coming back.”

#117 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

http://www.forest-bl...1871e3ce6c.html

Coach Woodard joins DEA Football

by JERRI GOODMAN, The Metter Advertiser

|

0 comments

When the 2012 installment of the David Emanuel Academy football team takes to the field this fall, they will find under new Head Coach Andy Woodard a hefty dose of youth and energy mixed with passion and experience.

On his first day visiting DEA, Woodard stood before a “firing squad” of graduating seniors in the school’s journalism class.

The students, particularly the five who played football this past season, did not pull their punches as they questioned Woodard on his age, his abilities and his drive to lead the Eagles to a region championship.

Woodard, who recently served as assistant head football coach and offensive coordinator for Trinity Christian School, did not hesitate in his responses and did not evade the “big questions.”

“My number one goal is for kids to expect to win,” Woodard told the class. “And that,” he added, “starts in the classroom. You expect to win by doing your work. It moves from there to the weight room and then on to conditioning and then to the practice field.”

Woodard added that his style of coaching and preparing players for a game is highly energized. “I set a fast tempo, a fast pace at practice.”

Looking at the group of Eagles he will be working with, especially a band of nine upcoming seniors, Woodard sees nothing but possibilities for the new season and the new region alignment.

“The region is very competitive, but I feel it is well balanced,” he said. In addition, with the eighth-graders who will be joining the team this fall, Woodard said he is looking to have an impressive roster of at least 30 players

“This will give us more depth than our opponents,” he said.

When asked why he chose a smaller school after working with the larger Trinity school in Dublin, Woodard said, “It’s a great location and has great potential. There is a lot here to be proud of that people do not always associate with this school. DEA is very competitive in all sports. I want this ... I chose to apply here. This is the group of young people I want to work with.”

Woodard is set to begin after-school workouts daily with the Eagles on April 9 and has a spring practice planned for the end of May which will lead into summer workouts.

“By June 4 we’re going to be rocking and rolling,” he said.

Athletic Director Andy Callaway expressed his pleasure over the board’s selection of Woodard as head football coach.

“Coach Woodard’s enthusiasm is just contagious,” said Callaway. “He was chosen to be our coach from a really good pool of applicants. What is so great about him is that he also has a world of experience, even at a young age. He grew up in a coaching family and you can just tell that he was born to coach. If we had not hired him, I’m sure someone else would have, soon. Andy really seems to have the right combination of enthusiasm, experience and morals that were looking for.”

“I think throughout the interview process Coach Woodard stood out,” said Head of School Marion Shaw. “His energy, moral values and can-do attitude make me believe he can bring a lot to the plate for our football program. We are blessed to have him here with us.”

Woodard holds a bachelor of arts in history from Georgia Southern University in Statesboro and has served as assistant football coach at Trinity Christian from 2006-2007 and again from 2010-2011. From 2008-2009, he was assistant varsity football coach for Southeast Bulloch High School, where he also served as head JV football coach and assisted with track and baseball.

#118 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

http://prepcentralon...okmark/18183294

Powers gets 2nd shot at coaching Model

The Model Blue Devils have a new face who will lead the football program — although he’s not really a new face at all.

Gordon Powers, who was the Model head coach for six seasons, from 2003 through 2008, has been picked to replace Lynn Hunnicutt, who announced last month he was stepping down after two seasons with the team.

“I’m extremely excited about it,” said Powers, who served as an assistant under Hunnicutt. “(I) wouldn’t have accepted the job if I wasn’t excited and didn’t feel like we could get something accomplished.”

Principal Glenn White felt that putting a familiar name back in charge would make the transition easier. The move is immediate.

“Coach Powers has been committed to our program. He knows what is going on in our program and knows the other coaches, and not just the football coaches,” said White. “I just felt like it would make a smooth transition for the school, our football program and our overall athletic program.”

Powers compiled an overall record of 21-40 during his first stint as head coach at Model.

In Powers’ first season with the Blue Devils, he led them to a 5-6 record, which included the team’s first trip to the state playoffs since the 1997 season. In his last season at the helm of the Blue Devils, Powers led Model to 5-5 record.

The Blue Devils went 3-7 and 1-9 in Hunnicutt’s two seasons.

“I think what Coach Hunnicutt and the staff have done over the past two years has laid a good foundation,” said Powers. “As Coach Hunnicutt said when he came here, It’s going to take awhile.

“We hope to get more community involvement, get more players out for football, get a higher interest in football here, and — through a hard-work ethic and discipline — move the program forward.”

Being a Class AA school, Powers knows that getting involvement in the Shannon community will be important.

“I think a lot of it is getting the numbers of athletes participating and buying into football. We are a smaller AA school, so for us to be successful we need every single athletic boy to come out for football,” said Powers.

“Our seventh and eighth grade teams have the greatest number of players and we lose a high percentage of them between middle and high school. Then we lose a decent chunk of them between the ninth and 10th grades.”

Powers becomes the third head-coaching change in the Greater Rome area since the end of football season.

Trion named Justin Brown to replace David Humphreys, and Clay Livingstone has taken over for Brad Waggoner at Chattooga.

Read more: PrepCentralOnline - Sports News, Events, Scores and Videos

#119 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

http://valdostadaily...n-as-head-coach

Valwood hires Henderson as head coach

VALDOSTA — Ashley Henderson has been named Valwood’s new head football coach.

Henderson has been an assistant coach at Valdosta High since 2005. Before then, he worked as a graduate assistant at Valdosta State. He was an offensive lineman for both the Wildcats and the Blazers, as well as Georgia Tech.

Henderson replaces Brannon Tidwell, who had coached the Valiants the past three seasons. Valwood reached the GISA Class AA state semifinals each of the past two seasons.

#120 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

http://daltondailyci...to-lead-Raiders

April 17, 2012
Gray picked to lead Raiders

Chris Whitfield chriswhitfield@daltoncitizen.com The Dalton Daily Citizen Tue Apr 17, 2012, 07:29 AM EDT

Members of the Whitfield Board of Education approved the hiring of former Ringgold head coach Sean Gray as the new football coach at Southeast Whitfield High on Monday night.

Although Superintendent Danny Hayes, school board Chairman Louis Fordham and school system spokesman Eric Beavers would not release the list of personnel moves approved by the board in open session after an executive session that lasted 90 minutes, Gray said he is thrilled with the prospect of taking over the Raider program when contacted late Monday night after the meeting.

“I am very excited about it,” Gray said. “It is obviously going to be a challenge with a lot more time and energy, but I have coached at the high school level for 10 years and played college football for four years, so I know the time that is required to do the job the right way.”

For the last five academic years, Gray has been the football coach and athletic director at Valley Point Middle, which along with Eastbrook Middle is one of two feeder schools into Southeast. The Green Wave eighth-grade football teams have won the last three Whitfield County Middle School Athletic League titles, and the seventh-grade has captured back-to-back titles. Now, Gray will have the chance to follow many of those same players to Southeast.

Gray was head coach and led the Ringgold football program for four seasons from 2003 to the 2006-07 school year. He was 17-24 overall as the head coach in Ringgold, making one playoff appearance. In 2003, the Tigers lost 45-20 to Tucker on the road in the first round to finish with an 8-3 record, the best in Gray’s tenure. Gray’s teams were 4-6 in 2004 and 2006, and the Tigers finished 1-9 in 2005. As a head coach, Gray was 3-1 versus Southeast, 0-2 against Murray County, 0-3 versus Northwest and 0-4 against Dalton.

Gray was one of 17 applicants for the position. He replaces David Crane, whose termination was apparently also part of the personnel moves approved by the board at the meeting. Crane’s official record was 8-32 in four seasons with the Raiders, who forfeited two victories this past season for using an ineligible player.

A player at Cumberland College in the ‘90s, Gray was an assistant coach at Gordon Central as well as the defensive coordinator for three years at Gordon Lee before taking over the Ringgold football program.

“This isn’t anything new to me,” Gray said of returning to high school football. “It will be a short adjustment period, but it won’t be that much.”

Gray said spring football practice for the Raiders will begin around May 7, and he will use the spring workouts as an evaluation period for his players. While at Valley Point, he worked out of the spread offense, which had been Southeast’s offense since Crane took over the program. Gray ran the wing-I formation at Ringgold, but he said he will let the personnel determine the offense.

“Offensively, I have to look and see what we have got on the field,” he said. “It will probably be a decision between the I or the spread. We ran the spread at Valley Point and I like it. I have enjoyed the last few years running that formation. We will take a hard look at that in the spring.”

Defensively, Gray will face the task of rebuilding a unit that gave up 30 or more points six times last season.

“On defense, we will run a 4-4,” he said. “We will be a very aggressive style of defense getting people to the ball quickly and disguising our coverages.”

#121 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

http://prepcentralon...okmark/18257693

Charlie Wiggins tabbed as next head coach at Gordon Lee

by Scott Herpst

1 day 4 hrs ago | 520 views | 0 Posted Image | 2 Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image

Nearly three weeks after Kevin McElhaney stepped down as head football coach at Gordon Lee High School, the Trojans have a new boss.

The Chickamauga City School Board approved the hiring of Charlie Wiggins as the school's new coach on Monday evening. Wiggins is the 12th head coach of the Trojans in the last 50 years.

"I just feel blessed to have this opportunity that the school and the school board are giving me," Wiggins said. "It's going to be an adventure, but I look forward to seeing what we can make of it at the end."

This will be Wiggins' second head coaching job. He amassed a 43-35 record at Chattanooga Notre Dame from 2002 to 2008. His 2004 team went 8-4 and advanced to the Class 3A semifinals while his 2005 squad won its first 13 games before falling in the Class 3A semifinals.

Prior to that, Wiggins was a four-year starter at tight end for Maryville (Tenn.) College, graduating in 1992 with a B.A. degree in Biology. He coached at Tennessee-Martin University from 1992-1995 and spent a year at Georgetown (Ky.) College before returning to his alma mater in 1997.

He spent four seasons with the Scots, three as offensive coordinator and one as defensive coordinator, before landing the job at Notre Dame.

He spent 2009 at LaFayette High School before coming to Gordon Lee in 2010.

Gordon Lee principal Clay Crowder said there were numerous applicants for the post, but said Wiggins had a good repoire with the players, having been an assistant with the team the past two seasons.

"He's been a successful head coach before at Notre Dame," Crowder explained. "And having been on the staff here for the last two years, he knows the coaches and players and knows what they can do. We think he'll be a good fit."

Wiggins said he was anxious to "get back in the saddle".

"When an opportunity like this one comes up, to do something you've done before and enjoyed, it kind of just pulls you back in," Wiggins said of his return to the head coaching ranks. "I've got a little bit of butterflies, but as a competitor, you like having those. I kind of feel like a kid at Christmas again."

Wiggins, who made his mark as an offensive innovator with the Fighting Irish, says Gordon Lee fans can expect some new wrinkles this fall.

"I've always focused on how my teams can use every phase of the game to our advantage on offense," he said. "We're going to do some of the same things we've been doing, but we plan on diversifying the offense too. It all just depends on what our kids are able to do."

He added that he hopes to continue on the path started by McElhaney.

"We've got a good core of older guys and some good younger players coming up from the middle school," he said. "Kevin did such a good job of directing these older guys through some tough times when they were younger to having the program on the cusp of big things. I want to pick up from where he left off, build from there, and continue his vision and the vision of the Gordon Lee community."

"Winning doesn't come without sacrifice and being there for your teammates, and that's something I've always stressed," he continued. "If our kids will do that, then some really good things will happen."

Wiggins said the official starting date for spring practice will be announced soon.

He becomes the fourth new head coach in Region 6-A for this upcoming season, joining Keith Holloway (Mt. Zion), Justin Brown (Trion), and John East (Walker).

#122 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Coach Bryan Love, Defensive Coordinator from Camden County, has been named Tucker's new HEAD COACH

http://tuckertigersfootball.com/

#123 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

http://www.msgr.com/...19bb2963f4.html

Sources: Winslette ‘out’ as football coach at GCHS

Posted:

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Billy W. Hobbs, LON Staff Writer

| 0 comments

GREENSBORO – Charlie Winslette is out as head football coach after three seasons at Greene County High School, sources tell the Lake Oconee News.

The 61-year-old coach, who is in his second stint at the school, said Monday that such news wasn't too shocking to him.

"That's not really surprising," Winslette said. "They (school system officials) really haven't communicated with me in about a year. I've been out of the loop. But that's fine. I've done all I can."

School system officials had been mum when asked to comment about whether Winslette was going to be returning as head football coach until Tuesday when they put out a press release, confirming that six top candidates had been interviewed last week.

Sources revealed the names of those six candidates, and they appeared in a newspaper story last week. They included: Lee Carter, Al Pellegrino, Billy Kirk, Robert Edwards III, Peniel Dany and Max Wiltz.

Those six candidates, now narrowed down to three finalists, first were interviewed by GCHS Principal Dr. Ray Hill and other school administrators before the principal formed a 10-member special committee of "community members" to interview those top candidates from April 9-13. The newspaper had not learned the names of the top-three candidates as of Tuesday afternoon.

Schools Superintendent Dr. Barbara P. Davis plans to make a recommendation to members of the school board concerning the head football coaching position, according to the press release. No timetable was mentioned.

School officials posted what they described as "anticipated position" on the school system's website in February. Since that time, a total of 27 persons have applied for the head football coaching job, and 18 of them actually interviewed, according to the press release.

"Greene County High School is very fortunate to have such dedicated community members who took their time to assist with the panel interview," Dr. Hill said in a prepared statement. "I am very thankful and appreciative of our community members' continued support of our students academically and athletically."

Davis echoed the principal's statements.

"Involving community members who enthusiastically support athletics is a form of showing high regard for community input," Davis said. "I deeply appreciate the time given by the community member panel to participate in this process."

Local school system officials indicated it is not common practice for them to discuss personnel matters with the media or other others within the community.

"As a matter of practice, we do not publicly discuss the name or employment history of anyone who applies for a job with our school district," GCSS Human Resource Director Dean Ware, who also serves as the school system's chief financial officer. "This is good professional and ethical practice that is exercised and modeled throughout corporate America and our own school district."

School system officials said the names of the six candidates were released to the public without their consent.

"We are extremely disappointed that the names of the candidates were released," Ware said in the press release. "We hope that this does not create a problem for any of these individuals as they continue their job search or remain with their current employers."

Winslette, who has only one winning season since returning from a highly-successful first stint at Greene County High School, which included his having guided the then Greene-Taliaferro County Tigers to the Class AA state championship in 1993, feels he's been singled out for his team's lack of success last season.

The Tigers ended their 2011 football season with a disappointing record of 2-8.

"This whole thing has been amazing to me," Winslette said. "Why they are picking me on me out of the whole crowd is unbelievable."

He pointed out that other coaches in other sports at the school also had losing seasons but that it was his understanding all of them are returning for another season as teachers/coaches.

Winslette said even if he is out as head football coach, he'd like to return to his teaching job in driver's education.

The current head coach of the football program at GCHS said he had discussed his future with at least three school board members, including BOE Chairman Arlie Collins. The other two school board members were Velicia Cobb and John Ray Carver.

However, Collins says there is nothing he or any of the school board members can do to help Winslette keep his beloved football coaching job.

"We can only vote on the recommendations that are made to us from the superintendent when it comes to teachers' contracts," Collins said, noting he had received approximately a dozen telephone calls from Winslette supporters in the last two weeks. "The law prevents us from micro-managing."

He said the school board recognizes Davis as chief executive officer of the Greene County School System. When it comes to personnel, Davis, according to Collins, receives recommendations from principals.

Winslette said he hopes the entire matter is resolved soon.

"As far as I know right now, I'm supposed to be coming back as a teacher next year," Winslette said.

#124 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

http://www.news-dail...r/12/save-date/

Warhawks head coach Joe Dupree won’t have it easy in his first year. Case in point: this mid-season game against Peach County, the Class AAA runner-ups last season. And Henry County will be looking to replace quarterback Chris Moody (South Carolina) and defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson (Alabama). The Warhawks will know if they’ve succeeded if they can hang with the Trojans.

#125 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

http://www.walb.com/...hires-cornelius

Mitchell County hires Cornelius

By Robert Hydrick - bio | email

CAMILLA, GA -Mitchell County has a new head football coach.

The Mitchell County school board on Tuesday approved the hiring of Larry Cornelius according to a member of the school's coaching staff.
Cornelius has been the head coach at North Murray High School in Chatsworth for three years.
It is a program that he started.
Cornelius was the defensive coordinator for two years at Randolph-Clay and was an assistant at Murray County before taking the North Murray job.
Larry Cornelius takes over for former Mitchell County head coach Dondrail Pinkins.
Pinkins left to become an assistant at Valdosta High.

#126 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

http://www.ajc.com/s...ns-1422401.html

Shiloh football coach resigns

By Todd Holcomb

For the AJC

Shiloh football coach Brian Montgomery resigned Thursday while maintaining his innocence in the controversy over whether he asked student-athletes to follow him from his former school, which is a violation of Georgia High School Association rules.

Montgomery was reassigned from his teaching position Monday and told his contract would not be renewed.

“What we [were] doing at Shiloh is positive,’’ Montgomery said Thursday. “We’ve impacted so many kids. Shiloh was ready to turn the corner. No one has to cheat. We just work hard. Parents were very upset. They’ve been speaking out. They know this is not right.’’

The GHSA contacted Shiloh with questions after an article appeared in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution last month containing an assertion by a Shiloh player that he was asked by the coach to transfer from North Atlanta, Montgomery’s former school, to Shiloh.

Montgomery said the player and three other student-athletes who transferred from North Atlanta to Shiloh last year have told school officials that he did not attempt to persuade them to make a move.

“The truth needs to be put out there,’’ Montgomery said. “There wasn’t any persuasion on my end.’’

Montgomery said that he filed a complaint of discrimination and harassment with the Gwinnett County school board Friday.

The growing trend of transfers has changed the balance of power in high school sports in Georgia, especially during the past decade. Accusations of recruiting and illegal moves are common. Montgomery questioned why Shiloh was targeted for a GHSA inquiry.

“If they were going to do a total investigation of recruiting,’’ Montgomery said, “let’s look at the whole bag.’’

#127 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Carrera hired at Flint River Academy

http://www.flintriveracademy.com/

#128 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

http://onlineathens....h-greene-county

Former UGA running back is new head coach at Greene County

Former University of Georgia and NFL running back Robert Edwards was hired today as the new head football coach for Greene County High School, a spokeswoman for the school said.
Edwards replaces veteran high school coach Charlie Winslett.
Edwards, 37, is currently head coach at Arlington Christian School in metro Atlanta. He played running back for UGA under coaches Ray Goff and Jim Donnan, then was taken in the first round of the 1998 draft by the New England Patriots.
He also played for the Miami Dolphins and closed out his career with two teams in the Canadian Football League.

#129 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

http://tucker.patch....before-starting

Bryan Love Quits Tigers Before Starting

Football team's newly appointed head coach abandons the job and will be replaced.

Bryan Love, picked just weeks ago to replaceFranklin Stephens as the Tigers' head coach, has changed his mind and will not be joining the team.

According to Judy Spain at Tucker High School, the timing of Love's new contract was an issue that could not be resolved to his satisfaction. "Love explained the problem as a personal decision based on not being able to sign a contract until the end of July," Spain told Patch.
Another candidate has now accepted the position, and his name will be released as soon as the school system gives its final approval.
Love could not be reached for comment. Patch will have more details as they become available.

#130 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Football Scoop reports David Edwards as the new Head Coach at Columbia.

http://www.footballs...gh-school-scoop

#131 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

David Daniell named head coach at Hawkinsville.

http://www.macon.com...igh-school.html

#132 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Larry Harold named head coach at Macon County.

http://www.macon.com...igh-school.html

#133 BobbyHodges

BobbyHodges

Football Sage

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have imported the list of coaches from 2011 into the site and updated them for 2012 per what you have in this thread up through today. Also added any missing coaches for new teams, etc.

#134 Willie15Beamen

Willie15Beamen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

GISA - Covenant Academy (Macon, Georgia)

New Coach: Jimbo Hale
Old Coach: Shane Self

Covenant Hires Football Head Coach

Posted: 4:17pm on May 21, 2012; Modified: 4:17pm on May 21, 2012
2012-05-21T20:17:58Z

By DANIEL SHIRLEY The_Telegraph

Matt Chambless said he was looking for the perfect fit while trying to hire Covenant’s next football head coach.

He believes he found just that in Jimbo Hale.

Chambless, Covenant’s athletics director, announced the hire Monday. Hale, currently an assistant at Long County, replaces Shane Self, who said recently he had accepted a position at FPD.

“(Hale’s) philosophy fits hand in hand with our philosophy as a school beyond football,” Chambless said. “Obviously, being a Christian school, we’re looking for someone who matches our mission statement, and we feel he does. Looking at his history, we liked how much he’s involved with the community, the church and FCA and not just being a football coach. “That’s always going to be important for us, and he fits what we’re looking for.”

Hale started his coaching career as an assistant at Coosa from 2005-08. He also worked at Trinity Bible College in North Dakota and First Presbyterian Christian before heading to Long County.
Hale also was a private speed and strength conditioning coach before going to Coosa.

Chambless said there were “15 to 20” applicants for the position.

“We just liked everything about him,” Chambless said. “We liked that he had experience in both high school and college coaching, and we’re looking forward to having him work with our young men.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com...l#storylink=cpy

#135 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

http://www.laniercou...22-ead3754c8df1

Brent Miller retires from Lanier County, names David Ward as HC.

#136 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

http://www.gwinnettd...-job-at-shiloh/

North assistant accepts head football job at Shiloh

By Brandon Brigman (559)
brandon.brigman@gwinnettdailypost.com

Troy Hobbs is aware of the recent head coaching turnover with Shiloh's football program.
#He's also seen the potential the school has with its academics and athletics.

#Hobbs plans to give the program some much-needed stability as he tries to build the team into a contender.

#The former North Gwinnett assistant coach accepted the job to be Shiloh's new head coach on Monday. The hire won't become official until approved by the Gwinnett County Board of Eduction.

#"I know where it's been and where it could be," Hobbs said. "It's going to take some work to get it done. We will compete. I'm not going to say we will win right away, but we will compete."

#Hobbs replaces Brian Montgomery, who resigned in April after an investigation into recruitment violations. Montgomery was 2-8 in his only season as the Generals' head coach.

#Hobbs will be the third coach in as many seasons for Shiloh.

#"I wouldn't have taken the job if I was going there to build my resume," Hobbs said. "I want to be in the program, with the kids and in the community."

#Shiloh hasn't had a winning season since 2003 when it went 6-5 to reach the playoffs. Hobbs will try to build a program that competes in the same region as Brookwood and Grayson, the last two Class AAAAA state champions.

#"I'm going from a tough region to go be a head coach in another tough region. You have to come ready to work everyday," Hobbs said. "You want to play against the best. We're not a championship caliber team yet, but we are going to work to get to that point."

#Hobbs spent the last six years at North as the wide receiver coach for head coach Bob Sphire. During that time, the Bulldogs were 67-11, winning more than 10 games each season and the last three Region 7-AAAAA titles. North played for the Class AAAAA state championship in 2007.

#North is in the middle of its spring practice and will hold its spring game on Saturday. Hobbs said he doesn't plan to coach at North this week, so he can begin preparation for Shiloh's spring practice.

#"I love that place. It was really, really hard," Hobbs said.

#137 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

http://www.albanyher...e-named-new-he/

Sources: Dougherty assistant Joyner to be named new head football coach

By Mike Phillips (879)

ALBANY — Every sign and every indication point to Corey Joyner as the next head football coach at Dougherty High School.

#Multiple sources have told The Herald that Joyner, who is currently an assistant coach with Dougherty, will be the next coach for the Trojans, and that announcement could come as early as tonight at the Dougherty County School Board meeting.

#Nothing is currently listed on tonight's agenda to name a new coach, but Joyner has emerged ahead of the field and sources say it's just a matter of time before he is officially named to the position.

#The search to replace Jesse Hicks, who resigned Feb. 16 to take a job at Central Macon High School, has been going for almost three months, and Dougherty was without a head football coach during the recent spring practice drills.

#A seven-member committee interviewed 12 candidates, including two local assistant coaches and three candidates from outside of Georgia. Joyner was the last candidate to be interviewed and is a local favorite to get the position.

#He interviewed for the job three years ago when Hicks was hired. Players, fans and members of the community were upset at the time because Joyner wasn't hired and wanted him to get the job.

#Hicks, however, came with a glowing resume'. He was an Albany State graduate who had taken over a mediocre program at Baldwin and turned it into a powerhouse and a regular in the state playoffs.

#The hope at the time was that he could do the same for Dougherty, which had fallen upon hard times on the gridiron.

#Hicks came with a promise to turn the program around and get more community involvement to spark more pride in the football team.

#He left the program after two long seasons and a 3-17 record. The Trojans won just one game last season and in Hicks' two years, Dougherty lost every game to city rivals from Monroe, Westover and Albany.

#Joyner was a star at Dougherty and later became an All-American at Georgia Southern. His brother, Uyl Joyner, is the offensive coordinator at Albany State.

#Joyner and Albany High defensive coordinator Mitchell Jenkins were the only local coaches who interviewed for the job, sources said.

#There was speculation earlier that the job would be given to either Johnny Reynolds, a former Monroe assistant coach who has head coaching experience at McNair High School in the Atlanta area, or to Bainbridge offensive coordinator Leonard Guiton, who has been in that position for three years at Bainbridge. He had held the same position at Thomas County Central and came to Bainbridge when head coach Ed Pilcher made the move. Pilcher and Guiton run the veer offense.

#According to sources, Reynolds, Guiton and Joyner were all impressive in the interview process.

#Joyner is a former player at Dougherty and longtime assistant coach for the Trojans who knows the players and also knows what Dougherty faces as the program tries to work its way back to prominence.

#Dougherty is the only public school in Albany to win a state football title in the modern era, which came in 1998.

#138 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com...nt-steps-aside/

Cambridge football job open again as Buford assistant steps aside

1:44 pm May 25, 2012, by Todd Holcomb
Christian Hunnicutt, the Buford football assistant who was selected in January to start the new program at Cambridge High in north Fulton County, has stepped down, Cambridge athletics director Matt Lawless confirmed Friday.
“Unfortunately these last few weeks have been very trying on his family and he worked hard to get the program up and running, but he decided it was best for him to explore other opportunities,’’ Lawless said. “It was a decision he made in the best interest of his family and ours as well, and we support him in that.’’
Hunnicutt had taken Cambridge through spring practice, when ended two weeks ago. Lawless said he expected a new head coach to be named quickly but did not set a timetable. He said most of the staff that Hunnicutt had assembled would remain.
Cambridge, which will draw from Milton, Alpharetta and Roswell high schools, will play a full Region 7-AAAAA schedule in 2012 and opens Aug. 31 at home against Riverwood.
Hunnicutt had coached at Buford for 13 seasons and was the school’s offensive coordinator. He was on staff through seven Buford state titles in football.

#139 BobbyHodges

BobbyHodges

Football Sage

• Members.
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Willie, can you correct this list for us?
http://ghsfha.com/sh...ovenant Academy

GISA - Covenant Academy (Macon, Georgia)

New Coach: Jimbo Hale
Old Coach: Shane Self

Covenant Hires Football Head Coach

Posted: 4:17pm on May 21, 2012; Modified: 4:17pm on May 21, 2012
2012-05-21T20:17:58Z

By DANIEL SHIRLEY The_Telegraph

Matt Chambless said he was looking for the perfect fit while trying to hire Covenant’s next football head coach.

He believes he found just that in Jimbo Hale.

Chambless, Covenant’s athletics director, announced the hire Monday. Hale, currently an assistant at Long County, replaces Shane Self, who said recently he had accepted a position at FPD.

“(Hale’s) philosophy fits hand in hand with our philosophy as a school beyond football,” Chambless said. “Obviously, being a Christian school, we’re looking for someone who matches our mission statement, and we feel he does. Looking at his history, we liked how much he’s involved with the community, the church and FCA and not just being a football coach. “That’s always going to be important for us, and he fits what we’re looking for.”

Hale started his coaching career as an assistant at Coosa from 2005-08. He also worked at Trinity Bible College in North Dakota and First Presbyterian Christian before heading to Long County.
Hale also was a private speed and strength conditioning coach before going to Coosa.

Chambless said there were “15 to 20” applicants for the position.

“We just liked everything about him,” Chambless said. “We liked that he had experience in both high school and college coaching, and we’re looking forward to having him work with our young men.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com...l#storylink=cpy

#140 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

http://www.northfult...e-football.html

Bennett to head Cambridge football

Hunnicutt out as coach

by Jonathan Copsey

June 01, 2012

MILTON, Ga. – Milton High School's Athletic Director Craig Bennett will be the new football coach for Cambridge High School starting in the new school year.

The announcement was made June 1 at Hopewell Middle School by Cambridge Athletic Director Mark Lawless.

"His knowledge and skills are a perfect set. He's acclimated to the North Fulton scene," said Lawless to a crowd of Cambridge football players and parents in the Hopewell cafeteria.

"Coming from Milton he has surrounded himself with coaches who have consistently won championship after championship," he said. "I can only imagine what he can do with us now that he can focus his skills on just one program."

Bennett has spent five years as athletic director at Milton and 15 overall in high school athletics. Many of Milton's sports teams are ranked among the best in the state and the region.

"It's a dream to be a head football coach," said Bennett. "When [Principal Ed Spurka] asked if I would be interested, I said, 'absolutely.'"

"We have high expectations," he said. "And we will try to live up to those expectations."

Bennett will begin working with his players June 4 for summer practice. Their first game will be in September, against Riverwood High School.

Spurka said the positions for his sports department are nearly all filled with this newest announcement.

"We're in great shape," he said. "I couldn't be more excited. Craig was always somebody that I highly respected. He brings a lot of knowledge. He doesn't coach football. He coaches kids."

Hunnicutt out as coach

Bennett replaces the man formerly tapped to fill the coaching position, Christian Hunnicutt, who has 17 years coaching experience, including 13 with successful Buford High School, where he has been the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach since 2004.

Hunnicutt worked with prospective players throughout the summer for training until his abrupt departure. Friday, May 25, it was announced the Buford coach was leaving.

"Coach Hunnicutt made the decision that it was best for his family to pursue other opportunities," said Spurka. Lawless said he wanted to spend more time with his family.

"He ultimately decided it was in his best interest to leave," Lawless said.

Neither Spruka nor Lawless would comment further about the particulars of Hunnicutt's departure, saying it was a personnel issue.

Rumors of an investigation by the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) about Hunnicutt recruiting players were denied by a GHSA spokesman, who said there were no allegations or investigations into Hunicutt.

#141 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

http://www.gainesvil.../article/68157/

Football coach Paul Friel leaving Johnson

Paul Friel, the Johnson High football coach since 2006, announced his resignation Tuesday.

Johnson athletic director Tim Rogers said Friel made the decision over the weekend and informed Rogers, as well as the team, on Tuesday. He’ll be taking a head coaching position at a high school in Maryland, Rogers said.

Friel was not immediately available for comment.

The search for the next Knights head coach is already under way.

“It’s late in the game, but we’re going to do the best can do in looking for the right candidate,” Rogers said. “The No. 1 thing would be finding someone who’s committed to the task, and that encompasses a lot of different things.”

In six seasons at Johnson, Friel was 14-45-1, including an 0-10 season in 2011. The Knights’ last winning season, and last trip to the postseason came in 2004 when Johnson finished 7-4 under former coach Blair Armstrong.

Earlier this year, after Georgia High School Association reclassification bumped Johnson up a classification into Region 8-AAAA, the school’s administration decided to play a non-region schedule in 2012.

The move will save the Knights from an eight-game region slate and will allow Johnson to play a high number of area schools, including the season opener against West Hall in the annual Battle of Oakwood on Aug. 24 at Johnson.

The Knights will also play fellow Hall County schools North Hall and Chestatee, the latter of which also plays in Region 8-AAAA.

Sports editor Brent Holloway contributed to this story

#142 Willie15Beamen

Willie15Beamen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Willie, can you correct this list for us?
http://ghsfha.com/sh...ovenant Academy

2008 - Todd Whetsel
2009 - Shane Self
2010 - Shane Self
2011 - Shane Self
2012 - Jimbo Hale

I believe the records for each year are all correct.

#143 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

West Forsyth DC Doug Britten has been named head coach at North Atlanta.

#144 BobbyHodges

BobbyHodges

Football Sage

• Members.
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

2008 - Todd Whetsel
2009 - Shane Self
2010 - Shane Self
2011 - Shane Self
2012 - Jimbo Hale

I believe the records for each year are all correct.

updated, thanks.

#145 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

http://www.gainesvil.../article/68809/

Johnson hires new head football coach

By Zac Taylorztaylor@gainesvilletimes.com

Johnson High has ended its brief search for a new football coach.

Jason Roquemore, most recently the defensive coordinator at North Cobb Christian, will be taking his first head coaching job with the Knights. Roquemore met the team Thursday morning and will hit the ground running Monday.

Roquemore, 34, is excited to finally get the chance to lead a team.

“I dropped down to my knees and I said, ‘thank you God,’” Roquemore said. “It was just a long time coming. I was so close before, and for it to be on his time and his plan, it just made it even better.

“It seems like the stars have aligned, it’s just a great opportunity he’s blessed me with.”

He is replacing former Johnson head coach Paul Friel, who resigned last month to pursue a coaching job in Maryland after leading the Knights since 2006.

Johnson athletic director Tim Rogers said that, due to Friel’s resignation late in the year, getting a new coach quickly was of utmost importance.

“Obviously, this late in the game, it was crucial,” Rogers said. “We’re very thankful for the staff left behind, who took control in the interim and kept the team together.”

Rogers added that Roquemore was also the best of around 40 possible candidates Johnson had looked at.

“It was the way he presented his vision for us, and his passion for not just football but molding our players into young men,” Rogers said. “We were looking for someone with energy and passion, and I think we found it.”

The fact that this will be Roquemore’s first head coaching gig doesn’t bother Rogers in the least.

“It was not a priority to have prior head coaching experience,” the athletic director said. “Every great coach had to get their start somewhere.

“We are grateful that he excepted our offer, and we look forward to him building the program back to where we think it can be.”

While Roquemore hasn’t yet been at the helm of a team, he’s been in football for a while. He played high school ball at Riverdale High in Clayton County, and was good enough to draw the interest of West Georgia College, where he played for a year before finding out, ‘I wasn’t very good.’

With his playing days behind him, after graduation he worked as an assistant coach at Carrollton High for two years before moving to Kennessaw Mountain High, where he was the defensive coordinator. He moved to North Cobb Christian for the 2011 season. He said that his travels as an assistant coach have given him the opportunity to work under a number of great coaches, and great men.

Now he’s looking to move up to the area as soon as he can as he looks to use his knowledge to help turn around the Johnson program. He said he's concerned with far more than just wins as he listed a few of his goals as a coach.

“Teaching our student athletes how to win every day, living with importance, paying attention to the details, raising young men,” he said. “The expectation is we want to get better every day. I said to the team, ‘it’s going to be our direction, not our intention. We’ve got to get better every day in every aspect of our lives.’

“I’m just looking forward to it. It’s going to be fun to watch our kids get this thing turned around.”

The Knights, who will rise to Class AAAA for the next two years as per the Georgia High School Association’s reclassification, finished 0-10 last season and will play a non-region schedule in football for the next year.

The move will save the Knights from an eight-game region slate and will allow Johnson to play a high number of area schools, including the season opener against West Hall in the annual Battle of Oakwood on Aug. 24 at Johnson.

The Knights will also play fellow Hall County schools North Hall and Chestatee, the latter of which also plays in Region 8-AAAA.

The Knights have struggled recently, but have had periods of success, including three consecutive winning season under former coach Blair Armstrong from 2002-2004.

#146 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

http://www.rockdalec...football-coach/

Rockdale hires new football coach

By Kurt Aschermann Jr. (700)

Conyers — Rockdale High School has its new football coach. The school officially announced the hiring of Venson Elder Tuesday, ending a month-long search.
#Elder comes to the Conyers school from Peachtree Ridge High School in Suwanee where he was an assistant on the football team and head track and field coach.

#“His quality, working with students, that’s what we found across the board and in the interview. We did a panel interview, all of us agreed that he’d be the best for our boys,” said Rockdale principal Georgi Nour. “He is very meticulous but very committed (and) when he talks to the student athletes you can just tell the commitment and the respect he has of the kids, and the kids have already gained in him as well…just the commitment that I’ve already seen and he’s shown to our kids.”

#Nour admitted the program has to play a bit of catch up as there wasn’t a coach in place during spring practice.

#“Usually you already have (a head coach) in place in spring, so we’re having to plan a little differently,” Nour said. “Very glad to have our program up and facilitated, we’re up and running. Right now we are going to three days a week and on Tuesdays and Thursdays just working with individual players.”

#Elder takes over for Mario Allen, who was dismissed in April after alleged ethical violations, which included recruiting and practice violations. Mike Etheridge, who was head coach at Rockdale for four seasons, was not retained after the 2011 season ended in November.

#Rockdale opens its season August 31 at rival Salem.

#147 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

http://clayton.001.schooldesk.net/

Forest Park High School Principal Derrick C. Manning names Assistant Football and Wrestling Coach Don J. Williams as the Panther's new varsity head football coach. Coach Williams has 27-years of teaching physical education and coaching football and wrestling in Georgia schools. His experience includes leading the Eagle's Landing High School (McDonough, GA) football team to a winning county title, leading his teams to several state playoffs, and winning a Region title at Eagle's Landing Middle School. His wrestling record at Forest Park High School speaks volumes as he and his team make Forest Park High School history by earning the title of Region champions this spring.

"Coach Williams is a natural choice to lead the school's football program into the future," said Manning. "He exemplifies all the qualities of a great head coach. He leads, teaches, and inspires student-athletes to reach their potential. I'm sure that he will make the same positive impact in football that he has made with the wrestling program. I congratulate him on his acceptance of these additional responsibilities."

Coach Williams, along with Mr. Manning and Athletic Director Larry Mortonson, is currently in the process of compiling a list of coaches with exceptional experience in coaching football. "We will put Forest Park back on the map," says Williams. "I am very thankful to our Principal, Mr. Derrick C. Manning, and our Athletic Director, Coach Larry Mortonson, for having confidence in hiring me as this team's head football coach. We are already in the weight room with great numbers of athletes showing up and working hard. It has been my experience that work always comes before success."

#148 ZHouston

ZHouston

Obsessed Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:Football...stats junkie

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

For Warren County, as of right now, David Daniel is still the head coach. I was named as Offensive Coordinator, there is no co-head coach at the moment.

#149 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Z, and congrats.

#150 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Atlanta Sports Avenue reports that Creekside HC Johnny White has resigned.

http://www.atlantasp...=36.msg61#msg61