5 replies to this topic

#1 myandle

myandle

Obsessed Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm sure it's posted somewhere on this site, but what was the school name before it became Lamar Co. in 1970?

Did more than one school consolidate to form Lamar Co. like most did in 1970 or did they simply change the name?

Thanks!

#2 btaylor

btaylor

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Before 1970, Lamar County had two public high schools, Milner and Booker. It's somewhat of an integration compromise. Similar name changes would be done over the next few years to create Long County, McIntosh County Academy, Lincoln County, Coffee County switched to being Coffee, Quitman County.

Lamar also had a strange experiment that a handful of places did right after integration: separate gender schools. Girls went to the former Booker school, boys went to the one in Milner. Baker County, Taylor County, Pelham, Greenville, LaGrange would all do this at some level - elementary or high - as well. On the flip side, integration caused Macon's old white high schools to be co-ed (black high schools had always been). Most abandoned the single ed experiment after short time, but Pelham kept theirs until the 1980s, I think.

#3 myandle

myandle

Obsessed Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Becky, so Milner never fielded a team then?

#4 btaylor

btaylor

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

Nope. No evidence of Milner ever trying. It wasn't a very big school.

#5 RIP

RIP

Advanced Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My wife, football, martial arts, playing guitar, horror movies, BEER, UGA football games, etc.....

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Before Lamar County in my town was Gordon Military College prep. There record is on here but not in full. There's many years where I can't find the records for the football team but they were the main highschool in Lamar County. The public school back then was Milner High.

Private school that I went to K-12 was Barnesville Academy founded in 1970 but fielded a football team in 1972 thru 1989 and were 86-75-2 all time in GISA

#6 ThomasRenfrow

ThomasRenfrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hello Lamar County football fans from a 1968 Gordon Military College High School graduate who played football for Gordon in the fall of 1967.

The only high school football in Lamar County prior to 1970 was Gordon Military. Most of the outlying schools during the 1960's opted not to field football teams due to the small size of student bodies and MONEY.

Gordon's high school was made up of boarding cadets and local Barnesville girls and boys. The total high school student body (grades 8-12) totaled approximately 500 as I remember it. All of the boys wore Gordon Military uniforms, and the girls dressed in civilian clothing. We had a great school atmosphere! You will find there were some fair teams. The best team was the fall of 1966 season. I had the privilege of scrimmaging with that team during my season of ineligibility as a first year cadet. Eddie Smith, a Barnesville resident was quarterback, ran and passed to Lonnie Maddox and Bruce Akins for over 1,900 yards accounting for some 24 touchdowns. That was big in the 1960's, and Eddie was selected for the AJC 1st Team ! He was as good a high school quarterback as I have seen in my 62 years. But for a TOTALLY uncharacteristic fumble by tailback George Berry during a late drive against Manchester for the Region 3-B Championship, you might have heard more from the 1966 Gordon Mitary team. George went on the graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy where he played football. George replaced the injured starting tailback in the 1970 Army/Navy game and rushed for 155 yards. Navy beat Army. Later George seved our country as a Navy Seal. My contribution to Gordon Military High School football was the opportunity to share captain duties with All State guard/linebacker Bill Hewitt during the fall of 1967 . I discovered 44 years later that my 1,193 yards in 189 attempts, 6.3 yard per carry was the single season rushing mark. We were not contenders for Subregion 3-B, finishing behind top 5 ranked Manchester and Mary Persons teams. However, we had a great time playing high school football. Gordon Military was a very special place. I wish it was still there, but Lamar County has moved on and built a geat facility. They are replacing our old stadium, Summers Field with a memorial as we speak.

Bubba Renfrow #44