• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aikendawg

Aikendawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm in the last chapters of my book about the history of the Cedartown Bulldogs. I have noticed that there have been a lot of score additions in the last few months. I still appreciate anyone who has any information that I may be able to use. As I may have said before, the ghsfha site has been a valuable tool for me to reference scores, dates, all state recognition and many other published facts about Cedartown football history. My gratitude will be shown at the time of publication. One interesting thing that came to light as I searched through hundreds of pages was about the transportation for the players before there were cars and buses. Here is something I wrote: "When Professor Sewell and a group of boys who called themselves Bulldogs boarded the train to Rome to play a game of football they had no idea that they were beginning a tradition that would last for over one hundred years and become one of America's favorite sports." It's obvious that they had to take the trains and is evident by their opponents being located along the routes of the railroad. If anyone can help me document this little item I would be most greatful. WEA

#2 myandle

myandle

Obsessed Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hey dawg,

I would like a copy of that book when it comes out as Thomasville played them for the title in 1945.

#3 BobbyHodges

BobbyHodges

Football Sage

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

I believe I've seen reference to train travel in some old stories in the Augusta Chronicle, but nothing specific that I can put a finger on.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to having a look.

#4 diesel doctor

diesel doctor

Advanced Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

http://www.purplehur...rogramTrain.jpg

This is an article from a few years back about Fitzgerald traveling by train to play my team, Tifton.

In the article, it mentions Harding, a stop in the railroad, a little less than a mile from where my grandmother grew up. She remembers hearing the football fans yelling through the woods!

#5 Aikendawg

Aikendawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the response. "diesel doctor" that article is almost too much to resist. I may incorporate it into the book as an interesting article supporting the train theory. If I do I'll need some more info, if you don't mind. I have another article that mentions Cedartown running a special train to Cartersville for a game and, of course the special train to carry the Cedartown faithful and the Bulldogs to the state championship game against Thomasville. What is really cool is the strength and creativity of the writers fom the early and mid 1900s. I have read articles from every era and I'm very impressed with the "old" guys. Some of the lines in the articles were so great that I had to name the author and quote his work. Remember there are hundreds of newspaper articles. I am generally citing the publcation,but if someone stood out he or she was recognized for outstanding literature. You'll see them. I can only wish that I could ever be so good.